Back to Christmas Carols
Needless to say, there are some Christmas carols that I like that probably would give a non-Christian pause. Here's a list of some of the Christmas hymns that appear in the 1964/1966 edition of the "The Book of Hymns" (Methodist Church/United Methodist Church):

  • 374 - Angels We Have Heard on High

  • 376 - In the Bleak Midwinter (and yes, I know that we don't know the season in which Jesus was born, but I like it anyway)

  • 378 - God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen

  • 381 - O Little Town of Bethlehem

  • 383 - The First Noel

  • 384 - Away in a Manger

  • 385 - What Child is This

  • 386 - O Come, All Ye Faithful

  • 388 - Hark! the Herald Angels Sing

  • 390 - It Came upon the Midnight Clear

  • 391 - Good Christian Men, Rejoice

  • 392 - Joy to the World

  • 393 - Silent Night, Holy Night


As long as I'm in this hymnal, let's cite a few non-Christmas songs that are especially meaningful:

  • 001 - O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing (hey, it's a Methodist hymnal)

  • 402 - We Three Kings (yes, Virginia, this is NOT a Christmas song)

  • 418 - O Sacred Head, Now Wounded (perhaps Americans have heard the tune

  • 436 - Were You There

  • 441 - Now the Green Blade Riseth (I requested that this one be played at my wedding)

  • 539 - God Be with You Till We Meet Again

  • 813 - God Be in My Head

  • 830B - Holy, Holy, Holy (my favorite musical setting of this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog