Back to Christmas Carols
Needless to say, there are some Christmas carols that I like that probably would give a non-Christian pause. Here's a list of some of the Christmas hymns that appear in the 1964/1966 edition of the "The Book of Hymns" (Methodist Church/United Methodist Church):

  • 374 - Angels We Have Heard on High

  • 376 - In the Bleak Midwinter (and yes, I know that we don't know the season in which Jesus was born, but I like it anyway)

  • 378 - God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen

  • 381 - O Little Town of Bethlehem

  • 383 - The First Noel

  • 384 - Away in a Manger

  • 385 - What Child is This

  • 386 - O Come, All Ye Faithful

  • 388 - Hark! the Herald Angels Sing

  • 390 - It Came upon the Midnight Clear

  • 391 - Good Christian Men, Rejoice

  • 392 - Joy to the World

  • 393 - Silent Night, Holy Night


As long as I'm in this hymnal, let's cite a few non-Christmas songs that are especially meaningful:

  • 001 - O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing (hey, it's a Methodist hymnal)

  • 402 - We Three Kings (yes, Virginia, this is NOT a Christmas song)

  • 418 - O Sacred Head, Now Wounded (perhaps Americans have heard the tune

  • 436 - Were You There

  • 441 - Now the Green Blade Riseth (I requested that this one be played at my wedding)

  • 539 - God Be with You Till We Meet Again

  • 813 - God Be in My Head

  • 830B - Holy, Holy, Holy (my favorite musical setting of this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In which we enter the alternative universe in which police always believe dreadlocked individuals

If at first you don't succeed...