Attention Kroger
It's OK. You can assault us with the Christmas music now.

It's a necessary evil.

But I'm sure that readers will ask, "OE, you're a Christian, so obviously you'd love Christian music. But I'm a-"

However, before they get into their issue, let me point out mine.

No, I don't love most Christmas music that blares in the stores during the holiday season. Most of them don't edify my faith or draw me closer to God. It's important to distinguish between Christmas songs that have something to do with the birth of Jesus, and Christmas songs that have to do with snowmen or Santa or whatever.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, let's look at Clay Aiken's Christmas CD. Here are the tracks on this CD:


1. Sleigh Ride
2. Mary Did You Know
3. Christmas Song, The
4. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
6. Winter Wonderland
7. Silent Night
8. Joy To The World
9. Hark The Herald Angels Sing / O Come All Ye Faithful
10. O Holy Night
11. Merry Christmas With Love



Now I'll grant that this has some significant Christian content, but what the heck to chipmunkschestnuts roasting on an open fire have to do with salvation?

"Sleigh Ride" partial lyrics:


Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,
ring ting tingling too
Come on, it's lovely weather
for a sleigh ride together with you,
Outside the snow is falling
and friends are calling "Yoo hoo,"
Come on, it's lovely weather
for a sleigh ride together with you.



Compared to this, Ben Franklin sounds orthodox.

Drew Carey had a routine that used to be played on KLOS, that noted that non-Christian religious holidays often don't get saddled with non-religious content such as the Easter Bunny. I wish I could remember the character he made up for Passover - I think it was the Passover groundhog.

Of course there's the whole issue over whether Christmas is a Christian holiday, but that's another topic altogether.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog