Traditionalism in the Grocery Store - Kroger is Evil
I am, in some ways, a traditionalist. To me, the Christmas season begins the day after Thanksgiving. (Note: I am speaking of the U.S. Thanksgiving, which occurs on the fourth Thursday in November.)

I can understand why certain stores start their Christmas advertisements before Thanksgiving. Obviously the craft stores such as Michaels have to start their Christmas advertisements several months in advance - craft people can't always turn out a craft the week after Thanksgiving. And I can reluctantly understand why the toy stores and the like start Christmas a bit before Thanksgiving.

But I cannot understand why, when I visited the Ralphs in downtown Brea, California this morning (Saturday, October 2, 2004), why I should be greeted by:

  • A talking, motion-activated Santa Claus doll singing Christmas carols.

  • A deli worker wearing a red Santa cap.

Why should a grocery store start Christmas advertisements today? I don't buy my Christmas groceries in early October. I'm not going to store a turkey for three months.

I approached the deli worker and, with a laughing voice, I said, "It's too early."

The deli worker, demonstrating that "can do" spirit that can be found in the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 324, replied, "Talk to the manager."

I replied that the local store manager probably has no control over it, and that I'd have to contact Kroger corporate. She agreed.

So, if you have a Kroger-owned store in your area, tell Corporate to let Santa relax for a few more months. In fact, in the spirit of our wonderful political parties, I'm going to help you a bit. I can't automate everything, but I CAN give you the stupid canned letter. Click on this link, enter your information, and paste the text below into the "Comments" area:


David B. Dillon
Chief Executive Officer
The Kroger Company
1014 Vine Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1100

Dear Mr. Dillon,

As a concerned shopper, I implore you to let Santa Claus rest in peace for another two months. Even though it is early October, your stores are already strewn with Christmas decorations, irritating Christmas melodies, and Christmas hats. It's too early! Give it a rest. Let Santa relax until December.

Sincerely,
[your name here]
http://oemperor.blogspot.com/2004/10/traditionalism-in-grocery-store-kroger.html



Pretty bad form letter, isn't it? Maybe a political party will hire me. (Just don't force me to write like Lyndon LaRouche.)

P.S. I did find one Christmas in October practice that I liked, courtesy Loyola University New Orleans:

December 8, 1998
Christmas in October

As part of Christmas in October, Loyola School of Law students join U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan to add a ramp and do general repairs to the home of 82-year-old J.C. Honoree. The wheelchair­bound Honoree was a virtual prisoner in her house. Now with the addition of the ramp, she is able to leave the house for church and errands, especially trips to the neighborhood grocery store.


There is a similar practice in Kansas City:

Christmas in October started in 1984 with 200 volunteers working on 20 houses. In this our 20th year celebration we will work on 450 houses with over 6000 volunteers (600 union). We are proud of and inspired by our volunteers who have responded with their time, talent and financial support to neighbors in need.

In 1988 there were 13 programs like this one in the country. This year there will be over 350. Kansas City is the largest. Twice the size of the second largest.

Christmas in October will continue to seek out the elderly on fixed incomes, the disabled and the disadvantaged who cannot afford to make vital repairs on their homes. We encourage corporations, groups and individuals to join us in this rewarding, one day experience.


And I bet none of these organizations has an irritating singing Santa.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm sick of these stores putting their Christmas stuff out so early. Go Ontario go.
--Lane
Anonymous said…
Singing Santa is worse then Singing Fish. KD
Anonymous said…
santa must go
Anonymous said…
I hate going into stores in October and hearing christmas music. Corporate America is greedy.

Popular posts from this blog