How to Reach a Blog-Savvy Politician (duh!)
Excerpts from a post and the subsequent comments in blogging.la:


...[L]et me toss kudos to City Councilman Eric Garcetti for showing such an interest in Blogging.la. On several occasions he's posted comments to B.la posts, and it's decidedly refreshing to find a politician taking such an first-person interest in what's going on in and around his district.

It was in that spirit of involvement and direct connection that I emailed Garcetti last week to explore the situation worsening beneath the Sunset Boulevard bridge over Silver Lake Boulevard and to inquire as to his thoughts and potential actions....

So how did Garcetti respond? He didn't. More than a week later, not a peep. Understanding that he's a busy man and things happen to emails, there are no hard feelings and I'm not here to bag on him. I just figured rather than whipping off a second request to his email address, I'd post the ongoing dilemma here in a public place he's been known to frequent and see what he might have to say.




Here's the text of Eric's letter that was drafted last week to go out today....

Best,

Josh Kamensky
Communications Deputy
Councilmember Eric Garcetti

Dear Will,

Thank you for contacting me about the problems in the Silver Lake/Sunset underpass. I have been working hard to address the problems in the underpass for several months. As you know, this is a very complicated set of problems....

Sincerely,

Eric

Councilmember Eric Garcetti
Los Angeles City Council, District 13




Hey there--sorry if your email got lost in the mix. I will cc you personally with this message, but did you send it to the main mailbox (garcetti @ council.lacity.org)? I just searched six months of archives (and trash) and didn't find any message from your email address. My apologies if something went wrong. Please feel free to email me again at garcetti @ council.lacity.org and we'll get back to you. Or you can call my field office at 323-913-4693 and speak with Ana Guerrero my district director. My personal apologies again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Eric Garcetti



In one way, there's nothing unusual about this. If you have to reach somebody, go to the places the person frequents - their work, a coffee shop, whatever. A blog is just a virtual version of the same thing.

Still, I find it fascinating.

So Ontario Mayor and San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors candidate Gary Ovitt, if you're reading my blog, could we remove the traffic calming obstructions on 6th Street?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog