Some Other Old LPs
Now I'm really dating myself. These are LPs that I didn't even own in cassette form. These are albums that I only had as records (or, as the trendsetters say today, "vinyl").


Elton John, "Don't Shoot Me I'm the Only Piano Player". You've heard "Daniel" and "Crocodile Rock," but what about "Teacher I Need You," "Elderberry Wine," "Texan Love Song" (Elton plays redneck), and the beautiful "High Flying Bird"? (The original album only contained the first ten songs.)


Paul Simon, "There Goes Rhymin' Simon". Paul didn't go straight from bookish Garfunkelish student to "Graceland." He went south early in his solo career. Again, this album has a bunch of hits, but be sure to check out the ambivalent "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor."


Partridge Family, "The Partridge Family Sound Magazine". My next-door neighbor Mary Lazarou (since deceased) liked the Partridge Family. Therefore, her younger next door neighbor also liked the Partridge Family. (A boy can be influenced by an older girl.) This was my first Partridge Family album (I think it was their third, if I remember corectly). It was only years later that I learned that David Cassidy hated his musical existence, Shirley Jones was capable of singing something other than background vocals, and that SUSAN DEY, DANNY BONADUCE, AND THE REST DID NOT APPEAR ON THE RECORDS. (Shock.) Yet, despite all of this, I strongly encourage you to listen to tracks 10 and 11 ("I Woke Up In Love This Morning," "Love Is All That I Ever Needed"). The Partridge Family was capable of kicking major butt. Here are some excerpts from Howard Pattow's review of this album (Pattow plays in a tribute band called Sound Magazine):


I Woke Up In Love This Morning...was the single off the album. Written by popmeisters Irwin Levine and L.Russell Brown (who brought us all those great Tony Orlando hits), this song also features the harpsichord front and center as well as minimal production. The guitar licks are reminiscent of the surf guitar sounds of the early 60's. David does get to shine a bit during the bridge (Do dreams come truuuuah. Well, if they dooooah, I'll have yooooooahh.)

The album ends with Love Is All That I Ever Needed. This song was co-written by Farrell and David Cassidy. The bass line, meticulously played by Max Bennett, is one of the finest pieces of groove ever laid down on tape. Drummer Hal Blaine, who MADE all the Partridge songs MOVE, is outstanding on this cut. His drum fills, sparse but meaty, give the song an edge not found on most Partridge tunes. David's urgent plea to connect with the object of his affection is heartfelt and comes across honestly. It is very obvious that he had a part in the song's creation, because his performance displays a vulnerability that gives the tune a bit more punch than others. It was probably closer to Cassidy's own personal tastes at the time....

Comments

Ontario Emperor said…
Danny Bonaduce WAS fired from KYSR. Details here.

Popular posts from this blog