Ed Asner and Lyndon LaRouche
In my last post, I noted that Ed Asner has given financial support to Lyndon LaRouche. Here are the details, courtesy the FEC and newsmeat.com:

ASNER, EDWARD
STUDIO CITY, CA 91604
N/A/RETIRED LAROUCHE, LYNDON H JR (D)
President
LAROUCHE IN 2004 $200 07/21/04

ASNER, EDWARD
STUDIO CITY, CA 91604
N/A/RETIRED LAROUCHE, LYNDON H JR (D)
President
LAROUCHE IN 2004 $250 10/28/03


More on the Asner-LaRouche connection is available in an article by Carl Kozlowski:

You’ve probably seen his followers manning tables on college campuses, outside post offices and on street corners - handing out pamphlets urging voters to oppose the California recall (especially Schwarzenegger’s ascendance to power), the electrical deregulation mess in California, or even calling Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney “children of Satan.”

No, we’re not talking about Howard Dean, John Kerry or even Dennis Kucinich. We’re talking about Lyndon LaRouche, the man often derided as a political joke for his perennial presidential campaigns and status as a convicted felon for mail fraud and income tax evasion....

My entrée into the world of the LaRouche campaign was a college student named Wesley, who had come down from Seattle to help in the anti-recall drive. He was manning a table outside the Borders bookstore in Glendale on September 4th [2003].

Wesley was young, clean-cut, and seemed sane, so I stopped. .And when I told him I was a reporter and curious enough to give the LaRouchies a chance to tell their side of the story, he told me that LaRouche was having a top-secret campaign rally for his L.A. supporters on September 11, and I could be in on the otherwise-private affair....

Things were fairly routine until Hollywood liberal legend Ed Asner walked into the room and sat down in front of me. It was my turn to pounce, and Ed’s turn to look stunned.

“I just [came] because I had heard contradicting rumors of him and had dismissed him because of it, but I found him very enjoyable,” said Asner. “Everything I’ve heard from him is in the progressive agenda that I entertain.

“All too often Democrats play go-along to get-along, and LaRouche shows that it’s more than the head of the pimple that’s gotta be squeezed,” Asner continued. “I support Kucinich really, and I can’t make a judgment on the time LaRouche spent [in jail] because he will not be the first person to be placed there and silenced that way in America. I am certainly aware that he is controversial, but in this case, that attracts me because I tend to be seen as controversial in the same way.”...


So, Asner attends a meeting on September 11, 2003, and cuts a $250 check on October 28...and another $200 check the following July. Meanwhile, he never made a formal contribution to Kucinich.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog