Ralphs and Kroger Are Very Unpopular Right Now
Several bloggers are unhappy about the Christmas music that is being played in Ralphs stores in early October. First, let me quote from my own post on the topic:


Saturday, October 02, 2004
Traditionalism in the Grocery Store - Kroger is Evil

...I cannot understand why, when I visited the Ralphs in downtown Brea, California this morning (Saturday, October 2, 2004), why I should be greeted by:

  • talking, motion-activated Santa Claus doll singing Christmas carols.

  • A deli worker wearing a red Santa cap.


Why should a grocery store start Christmas advertisements today? I don't buy my Christmas groceries in early October. I'm not going to store a turkey for three months....



By Sunday, Superfluous Juxtaposition in Los Angeles had independently observed this outrage:


Sunday, October 03, 2004
Merry Halloween

Rock and Roll Ralphs was playing Christmas music in the store today. It's not even Halloween yet. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.



By Monday, Franklin Avenue had independently weighed in:


Monday, October 04, 2004
Ho... Ho... Whores...

Christmas has already come to Ralphs supermarkets, writes a reader:

I don't know if you noticed, but Ralphs is playing Christmas music in their stores and even has Christmas decorations on display. It was bad when Christmas began before Thanksgiving, but this is freaking ridiculous. When I complained to the checker about the music, she started on her "Well, here at Ralphs we want to show you that we are First In California..." speech, but then she stopped and said..."It's crazy...they want me to wear one of those stupid Santa hats..." I told her they should go on strike again. Seriously. They. Must. Be. Stopped.

...[C]an you imagine having to work through the same mix of Christmas tunes for three months straight? Fine, take away my health benefits, just please, for the love of all things decent, stop the music!



Luckily, we won't be subjected to this for three months, if L.A. Observed is correct:


Ralphs has begun playing Christmas music in some stores, Franklin Avenue says. That's just wrong in so many ways, but I feel especially bad for the checkout clerks.

* Pam emails: "It is true! They had the holiday music up and running on Sunday at the Ralphs at Crenshaw/Rodeo. The manager said it was part of a promotion for sparkling apple cider and such. He also said I wasn't the only one to complain... I can't remember how many days it was to run, but he said things would go back to normal soon."

Posted October 5, 2004 08:50 AM



So, what should one do? If you're not interested in my pointless vehicle of outrage, use the Kroger comments facility to send a message to Kroger itself.

http://www.kroger.com/customercomments.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog