The Web, Entangled, Sometimes Rotted, Occasionally Compelling

Bad Patty linked to my previous post about the "Free Katie" t-shirts (regarding the Katie Holmes - Tom Cruise affair).

It got me thinking. As I commented in Bad Patty's blog:


Decades ago, people wanted to free ourselves from the Vietnam War. Today, we're obsessed with celebrities - Free Kobe Bryant, Free Michael Jackson, Free Katie Holmes.


I had forgotten that, with the exception of the Katie Holmes part, I had addressed a lot of this in November 2003:


One morning while I was walking around downtown Brea, I ran across this article in Orange County Weekly about savekobe.com.

I hope this doesn't start a trend.

As of now, the Michael Jackson Fan Club merchandise page does not include pictures of young boys wearing official shirts saying "Michael is innocent!"

As of now, there is no Scott Peterson fan club website selling "Scott is innocent!" boats.

And I haven't yet found a "Searching for the real killer" t-shirt, although I did find a reference to a I HELPED EXECUTE O.J. SIMPSON sentence t-shirt. (Offered by a talk-show host who states, AIDs: Stands for: "Another Infected Dying Sodomite" and God has the right to forgive murderers but we don't [have the right] because we're not God.



By the way, the savekobe.com domain is apparently available.

It still amazes me - one month, your website is all the rage, written up in OC Weekly, and getting all sorts of publicity. A little over 18 months later, the website is discarded, its value gone. And Michael McClain and Joey Franco have apparently disappeared, or are no longer in partnership. I found one reference to Michael McClain in Newport Beach, but I'm not publishing it here.

Technorati Tags: Not in use; Technorati is not logging new entries to this blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog