Time To Vote Tomorrow

Ontario's mayoral election is on Tuesday. You'd think that with these two candidates - one a current council member, one a former council member, both dedicated to the status quo - that the election would be relatively peaceful. Actually, these kinds of elections, where there are no substantial political issues to argue about (the Ontario Convention Center is the only issue of note) bring out the worst in people and their supporters. Here are some recent letters to the Daily Bull(etin):


Where in history did elections change from candidates speaking about their accomplishments, their agenda and their leadership abilities to the amount of lies one candidate can spread about the other?

My family has gone through some nasty campaigns in the past, with Debbie Acker and her sidekick, Debra Dorst-Porada, doing their best to tarnish my father’s good name.

But I have to say that all the antics of Acker and her sidekick do not come close to the level of slander that has spewed out of the Sam Crowe campaign.



You're right, all this slander emphasizing that Crowe is a liberal who supports Barbara Boxer - wait, I'm sorry, that was slander FROM the Leon camp.


If I hear or read one more boast of Councilman Paul Leon being a decorated veteran, I think I will be sick. Paul Leon was never in combat nor in a war zone.


If we declare war on Upland, this could be a major issue.


I read the article in the Daily Bulletin about Mr. Paul Leon wanting to “walk another term” in former Mayor Gary Ovitt’s shoes....

I just can’t trust him to stop Wal-Mart or plan the future of Ontario.



Oh yes, Wal Mart. Within the space of a few months, an entire shopping center shut down. Target moved to Montclair, and Food 4 Less and Toys R Us closed down. The shopping center is a big empty lot with weeds and a fence all around it. And some people would rather that it remained that way, apparently. And don't even get me started on the traffic calming obstructions on 6th Street.


I hadn’t made up my mind yet as I wasn’t sure of the political party candidate Sam Crowe or Councilman Paul Leon belonged to.

Once I received a glossy flier showing Nell Soto and Gloria McLeod embracing Crowe, I realized the right man for the job was Councilman Leon.



There's a reason why local races are non-partisan. The mayor of Ontario doesn't set the defense budget or control abortion clinics, which is all that the political parties care about these days. (Man, I'm getting into a rant just like Terry at Farbled, only he's talking about different political parties.)


City desperately needs change in leadership

Considering the mayoral race here in our fair city, Ontario residents have but little choice at the ballot. Either the city is running fine, or change is needed.

The problem, however, is really the city manager.

I have been saying for some years now that Greg Devereaux is the problem. I will repeat what I have written in the past: Devereaux must go.

This voter/citizen/resident/third-generation city native/Republican/educated professional/parent will offer his support, donation and ballot to the candidate who will seek to unseat Devereaux.

This is the change the city so desperately needs.

MICHAEL C. FLORES
Ontario



I doubt either of the announced candidates would do that. But I know one person who would.


As an Ontario resident and longtime observer of Ontario politics, I found the Daily Bulletin profiles of Ontario’s two mayoral candidates to be quite telling.

Of particular concern to me was the Sam Crowe piece....

Accusations of overbilling by his law firm and a city audit did reveal discrepancies to the tune of some $500,000-plus a year. According to your article, this was because of a questionable billing system that allowed junior associates to work for the city at the same rate as the senior partners. Not illegal but certainly unethical.

Councilman Jerry DuBois, a current Crowe campaign crony, claims the overbilling was due to a misunderstanding caused by several changes in city managers.

Now doesn’t that raise a whole new batch of questions? Does that mean that Mr. Crowe felt free to overbill with his knowledge of the unstable situation? I had been led to believe it was due to Mr. Crowe’s firm not correctly billing the city. Now Councilman DuBois says it was due to the city not watching the till. Let’s see – inability to adequately manage, or severely ethically challenged? Neither is a trait I’m looking for as my mayor.

For his part, Mr. Crowe does not address the over-billing issue, instead claiming he resigned because of Brown Act violations. Now there’s a campaign statement for you. Does anyone remember him claiming that eight years ago? I sure don’t....

If you vote for Paul Leon, it will be just like the past years. Let’s vote a new face – Sam Crowe.


Huh? He's 70 years old and was involved in city government for decades. How is Crowe "new"?

Well, at this point I have no compelling reason to vote for either candidate. I'm still mulling my alternative idea.

Technorati Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog