Women Who Don't Like Bugs
From The Hot Librarian:


We have some kind of beeish-hornet-y wasp problem in our backyard. You can't go out back without being dive-bombed by the disgusting beasts....


From Anomalous Noodge:


I spy with my little eye... something with eight legs....I hate them. I'm not afraid of them really, they're just kinda icky... and sneaky....


Well, Jim Stafford said nyah nyah with a song that hit #3 in 1974 (and eventually a movie):


...And so we took a stroll
Wound up down by the swimmin' hole
And she said, 'Do what you want to do'
I got silly and I found a frog
In the water by a hollow log
And I shook it at her
And I said 'This frog's for you'...

I was shy and so for a while
Most of my love was touch and smile
Til she said, 'Come on over here'
I was nervous as you might guess
Still looking for somethin' to slip down her dress
And she said, 'Let's make it perfectly clear'...



Unrelated postscript: why didn't Salif Keita get a songwriting credit in the movie "Ali"? That's how I discovered his music...

Related postscript: When questioned about my love for the movie "Spaceballs," I clarify that it is not a low-rent quick-buck movie, but a sophisticated literary masterpiece at which we chuckle, not guffaw:


When Dark Helmet asks for transformation into Mega Maid he says "Prepare for Metamorphosis, are you ready Kafka?" Franz Kafka wrote a novel called "The Metamorphosis."


More trivia:


When President Skroob meets the twins, he tells them to "chew their gum." This is a reference to "Doublemint" commercials featuring twins.

Colonel Sanders is the name of the man who founded Kentucky Fried Chicken. Dark Helmet says "What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?"...

The "chestburster" scene in the interstellar diner features John Hurt, whose character suffered the same fate in Alien (1979). In an obscure joke, the creature emulates the singing frog in the classic Warner Brothers cartoon "One Froggy Evening."...

Comments

gg said…
KFC reference = literary masterpiece?
Ontario Emperor said…
Only because the original Colonel Sanders was delightfully insane. His secret recipe was, in the words of Gollum, his "precious." (See, another literary reference.)

Popular posts from this blog