Y'All Oughta Try This

Thanks to Isn't She Lovely (who lives in Texas, but is only 15% Dixie herself (of course, Texas isn't really Dixie (at one point it was its own danged country (I seem to be going hog-wild with these parenthetical statements)))).



Your Linguistic Profile:



70% General American English

15% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern




Incidentally, one of the questions had several responses for "diagonal":


12. What do you call something that is diagonal from you?

Kitty corner
Diagonal
Catty corner



It turns out that the Smoldering Bibliophile was discussing this very topic not too long ago:


I had no idea that my usage of "kitty-corner" in my last post would be such a stumbling block for people....I was born in Australia to an Australian and an American, I lived in Australia until I moved to Saudi Arabia, and after that, I moved to America. I've grown up with people from every corner of the world. I don't know where I picked up the word "kitty-corner," but all I know is, I've never had such a firestorm of angry emails from people saying, "It's KATTY-CORNER, YOU IGNORANT WHORE."...



So she's right. And her emailers are right. And I (a "diagonal" person) am right. Nyah nyah.

Technorati Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog