Bob Parsons on Christianity
In a post on his blog, Bob Parsons (head of godaddy.com) addressed a question related to the recent Candice Michelle Beckman/Nikki Cappelli Super Bowl commercial, and Parson's previous activity in selling Bible software:


As many people know, the first company I started and sold to Intuit was called Parsons Technology. We had a number of product divisions at Parsons Technology. Our product divisions follow:

1. Financial (this included accounting, money management, and tax preparation products).
2. Legal (document preparation for home and small business).
3. Personal productivity (greeting card makers, address books, etc.)
4. Utilities (virus detection and removal, etc.)
5. Church Software (Bible lookup software, Map software, Sermon preparation, Congregational accounting).

It's true. I used to sell Bible software.
I’ve received criticism because I used to sell Bible software.
Since the Super Bowl ad was aired and banned, I’ve heard from many people who have said:

1. What happened to you? How could you have changed so much since back then?
2. How is it a man who made millions from selling Bible software made a commercial that was banned by Fox from being shown a second time?

My response to this criticism.
It’s true; our church software division was profitable. However, I made most of my money on the financial, legal and other products.

To this day I consider myself a Christian, but I am not a fundamentalist Christian. I am also not a member of the religious right. I am not opposed in anyway to these groups. I am just not part of them. My beliefs today are exactly what they were back when I owned Parsons Technology. I'm still the same guy.

The Bible software was the brainchild of Craig Rairdin.
Our church software division was the brainchild of a man named Craig Rairdin. Craig, on his own, wrote the first QuickVerse program, and did it before joining Parsons Technology. When Craig showed me the program that he had written, I knew instantly that it was well done and would be a hit. Within a few weeks, Craig was our Director of Church Software, and QuickVerse was a Parsons Technology product.

Being a hard worker, Craig soon began hiring additional staff and developing additional Christian products. While Parsons Technology marketed QuickVerse, Craig owned the rights to the product, and after I sold Parsons Technology to Intuit, Craig later sold the rights to QuickVerse to another company.

Today, Craig Rairdin owns his own company. He specializes in Bible lookup and Christian software for hand held computers. His company is called Laridian Electronic Publishing and can be found at http://www.Laridian.com

There is no inconsistency.
I find nothing inconsistent with Go Daddy’s Super Bowl ad, and the fact that I used to be involved with selling Bible software and am a moderate Christian. I’ve also discussed the issue with Craig, and he agrees.



Well, Bob's blog post got some comments. Here are a few of them:


Of course it wasn't indecent. It was, at the most, suggestive. Playfully suggestive. You know what's pissing me off? No one is crying foul about the Tabasco commercial, which was far more sexual and explicit than the Go Daddy spot. Not that the Tabasco spot was out of line either...but why is it being ignored by the same people calling for your and Candice Michelle's heads? It's just dumb. People need to lighten up. I talked a bit about it on my blog here: http://right-thoughts.us/index.php/weblog/the_streisand_effect_strikes_again Bottom line? You're the hottest thing on the Internet right now. ALL my server logs are jammed with variations on the phrase "Go Daddy Girl." You won. :)
#2415 JimK (http:/right-thoughts.us) on Feb 10 2005, 12:36
Bob said: "Please understand that unless your comments get read and reviewed by me, they don’t get posted." Interesting. Sounds like we need to get Bob in front of a Censorship Panel compromised of bloggers. (Let's hope he doesn't wear a tank top.) Bob. transparency and blogging go hand and hand. So if you ain't prepared to follow-through on the transparency promise ... then I suggest you stop calling this a blog. Seriously, moderating comments does come off as being hypocritical given your television commercial angle.
#2416 Luke on Feb 10 2005, 12:37
Bob, Just wanted you to know that you made the top 5 in SI's 10 spot. "5. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb denied claims by several teammates that he was ill during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. Instead, McNabb said he was disoriented because he kept waiting for the GoDaddy.com ad to run again in the second half." Semper Fi, GySgt Derek W. Harrison
#2420 Derek W. Harrison on Feb 10 2005, 12:56
I am a grandmother and see nothing wrong with the ad you presented.The girl is very cute,it was understood what you were doing,there is no big deal with a pretty girl with a nice figure doing that commercial.You are getting more free advertisment then you would have had the second commercial run,so hopefully you will be reinbursed,for the money you paid for the commercial,plus you hit the jackpot on free advertisment. Congratulations
#2423 judy wolnik on Feb 10 2005, 13:12
I just wanted you to know that I can no longer be a supporter of your company, even though I have been a customer for many years. I bought Parsons Tech. stuff, managed all my domains at GoDaddy, and told all my friends and consultant clients to use your service. Since the Super Bowl that has stopped. Contrary to your blog, it was not an innocent ad, it was disgusting. I could have put it off as just more marketing garbage, but then I read your "defense" of your actions. Sorry. I can't send any more of my money to someone like that. Sincerely, A new customer of register.com
#2424 Michael Weber (www.netchecker.net) on Feb 10 2005, 13:15
I like the suite of services GoDaddy currently offers, that's why I'm a customer, and refer others -- not because of a Super Bowl ad that pokes fun at a bunch of old men. If I find a better hosting service I'll move, there's a lot of competition out there. I think you're wasting time and money with the silly commercials, or just giving your ego a boost, when I really want to know if you're making a better product and whether the service is improving. Are you just bored with running the business or planning to run for political office? Maybe you need to get back to making a great product and training your technical support before another "GoDaddy" comes along and eats your lunch.
#2440 John on Feb 10 2005, 15:04
I had a Superbowl party with some couples and we all agreed your ad was the best. It's simple...watching the Superbowl is about the game and the commercials. Personally I would like less commercials but since it is now a tradition most of us are compelled to judge who spent their money in the most creative and original way. In my house we all agreed you finished first. By the way, bought my website from you the day after the Superbowl.
#2456 Mike Trapasso on Feb 10 2005, 17:05
Bob, While it is true that this kind of dress is common in our culture, it does not make it right. God has revealed his standard for modesty in the Bible. While not lusting is the responsibility of the man who views this, not tempting is the responsibility of the man who produces it.
#2458 Mike Thieme (www.mikesmind.com) on Feb 10 2005, 17:16
Way to go GoDaddy I'm not offended. I think from a Christian perspective the game of football is more offending (which I'm not) than a cute girl making a advertisement. Why should you be criticized? The critics should not be watching television if they want to live up to their standards.
#2470 Chris A. on Feb 10 2005, 21:20
Mr. Bob, Honestly I must not have fully understood your ad when I first saw it. At first I thought it was funny and then when I saw that it was for a domain name registrar, I decided that it was a cheap, inappropriate use of sex in advertising. That was my feeling when the ad ended. I was probably exercising my prejudices against a class of advertisers that send a lot of spam. Now that I have seen some of the post-ad discussion, I realize that it was an FCC hearing and now I get the joke. I guess it's ok to use cheap sexy parody in advertising but not without the parody. Congratulations and be assured you are not the only Christian libertarian in the world.
#2473 Bill Reveile (www.reveile.org/christlib) on Feb 10 2005, 21:52
As someone that is in the communications industry and a prolific blogger on the public relations industry, to have a truly transparent blog you need to post all comments. Deleting comments that begin with "you're likely not to post this" just because the person wrote that is unfair to both the commenter, your readers, and your blog. Or, deleting comments that you just don't get to, so you delete them. That's just insulting to those people who have taken their time to send you a comment. If you don't want to bother with vetting each comment, change your blog to have either no comments, or another system that would ensure comment SPAM did not make it through.
#2479 Jeremy Pepper (pop-pr.blogspot.com) on Feb 10 2005, 23:03
Dear Jeremy, I guess then, that this would not be a truly transparent Blog. Appreciate your post, Bob
#2480 Bob Parsons on Feb 10 2005, 23:11
Sorry, but the TV ad was a sad representation of your company. It was without class. I would hope that GoDaddy would reconsider promoting itself by appealing to the "base" in human nature, and rise to the level of maturity that we've come to expect from this website service.
#2489 Gloria JH (kingdomproperties.com) on Feb 11 2005, 00:43
Bob, I understand why people market the way they do, but come on... I have always thought very highly of you and GoDaddy, but after the ad I have had to rethink things. I am disappointed that in marketing today everyone has to try to out sex not out wit the next guy. I hope in the future you'll continue to build and market your product in a way that is appropriate for all ages. I hate having to send my kid to his room while commercials are on!
#2503 Byron Massey on Feb 11 2005, 08:26
Bob, I've enjoyed reading your comments. I for one thought the commercial was simply HILARIOUS...and the best of the game. I was watching with my two daughters ages 10 and 12, and I felt no embarassment whatsoever. They fully understood the parody! Even my wife just rolled her eyes and grinned! I might add I am a Christian and was an avid user of QuickVerse for years! I am conservative fundamental Christian, and still found no offense in your commercial. I've been the victim of some of that pc junk before and it's not pretty. Take your stand man. You did nothing wrong. There were far more lurid and suggestive commercials, and as you pointed out the *cheerleaders* made your commercial look like sunday school!
#2520 M. Jones on Feb 11 2005, 12:07
Bob...they blew it and they know it. I told you on air that I thought the ad was the best and let me tell you they knew that also. The problem they had was who is this guy Parsons and Go Daddy and how dare he run a parity against the NFL. Well wake up Fox And NFL you ran it once and realized that little old Go Daddy was going to win over your everyday sponsors...who said money doesn't count in the long haul. Bob I'll never understand the logic, but one thing I do understand is Bob Parsons is not about to change and Go Daddy is not going to change (except to get better if possible) hang in there I'm proud to have an association with you and Go Daddy. Jiohn Iasiuolo - Host Computer Outlook Radio Talk Show.
#2525 John Iasiuolo (http://www.computeroutlook.com) on Feb 11 2005, 12:41
Didn't the NFL have to approve the 'Desparate Housewifes' disrobing spot in an NFL lockerroom earlier in the season on CBS? If you don't sue over lost revenue due to their double standard, I don't know who is worse for this....
#2538 Brian on Feb 11 2005, 16:21
The commercial was one of the best for the whole Super Bowl. Most of the others were so boring I can't remember the sponsors. Had you not mocked the NFL and the FCC (what a brilliant parody), we would have seen it again. As for the spot being indecent . . . people need to get real. There was more T&A on the side lines (it's called "cheer leaders") than in your commercial. The heck with settling this thing with Fox. Sue them and the NFL!!! Censorship and political correctness have gotten out of hand in this country.
#2544 dave butler on Feb 11 2005, 17:57
Bob, I saw you on O'Reilly tonight. You seem to "not get it" regarding why some such as myself think less of GoDaddy for having aired that ad. It isn't the issues you talked about - it all comes down to taste and class. Sure sex sells, but you didn't see President Bush using such tactics during his campaign - he's more professional than that, and I'd have expected the same from GoDaddy. You compare it with the tobasco ad saying that their ad showed more than yours - it isn't a matter of how much skin is seen, as you put it. Their ad just showed a woman walking in a bikini. Your ad was more suggestive. But you don't seem open to trying to understand views like mine. Furthermore, it isn't a matter of free speech as you put it during the interview. Free speech doesn't give you the right to say whatever you like on TV. Fox has every right to limit what commercials are aired. Free speech has nothing at all to do with this event. If you applied your 'free speech' logic to this blog, then comments wouldn't be moderated as much as they are. Dean www.FreeSquid.org -------------------------------
#2552 Dean (FreeSquid.org) on Feb 11 2005, 19:04



Well, it's clear what Fox needs to do...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog