The Difficulties in Extreme Makeovers
(Note: this is not really Scatology 101, but it's sort of related.)

If a television network wants to have the top-rated show, all they need to do is design a show in which a bunch of gay guys renovate a house and play poker in it.

Well, I'm still heterosexual and still play the occasional round of Yahoo! Hold 'Em Poker, but I'm sort of experiencing the building renovation part.

I work in a two story office that is undergoing extensive improvements. For example, during the week that I was in St. Louis, my work area was carpeted and my cubicle was moved. All this was done while I was gone, allowing me to walk in Monday morning, unpack some boxes, and get back to work.

Unfortunately, I'm in the office for the current project - bathroom renovation.

Our two story building has five sets of bathrooms - three sets on the first floor (which I'll call south, west, and central) and two sets on the second (which I'll call south and north). The first floor west bathrooms are currently inaccessible, due to a month-long renovation of the west end of the building. The second floor south restrooms are special (read: executive). The other three sets of bathrooms are all accessible, and are all located next to small kitchens. The plan was to renovate these three sets of bathrooms and kitchens, but in an orderly way.

Here was the initial plan:

Day 1: Close the first floor central restroom/kitchen and the second floor north restroom/kitchen. Finish all work by the end of the day.

Day 2: Close the first floor south restroom/kitchen.

This means that at various times you would have to use a different restroom and/or kitchen than you normally use. But our Building Renovation Czarina is a caring individual:

We apologize for the inconvenience, especially for the dual closures [on day 1]. Think of it this way: You can improve your health by walking further and eating/drinking less:)

Well, anyone who has been involved in project management can guess what happened. At the beginning of Day 2, Day 1 work was still incomplete. Because of this, there was a lot of wandering around on Day 2 asking, "Is the [1st floor central] bathroom open yet?" "Have they closed the [1st floor south] bathroom yet?"

Today is Day 3 of the project, and the questions continue. And I'm walking further, which is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog