Interview with Drew Carey on "Drew Carey's Green Screen Show"
From the Cleveland Plain Dealer some time ago:

A merry mixture of improvisation and animation, Carey's WB show will take a high-tech approach to the type of comedy served up on his long-running ABC sketch program, "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

The Cleveland comic and his company of regulars, including "Whose Line" veterans Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood, perform improvisational bits in front of a green screen. The footage is then sent to animators who fill in the green-screen background with cartoons, film clips, still photographs and anything else they wish to draw around Drew.

Carey got the idea, appropriately enough, at the Improv while performing improvisational routines with some friends: "It was going so well, and it was so funny, I thought, Wouldn't it be great if I could just see the environment they're supposed to be in?'"...

His new "Green Screen Show" is getting one of the toughest time slots in television. It's scheduled against NBC's "Will & Grace" and the CBS juggernaut "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

"What else is new?" Carey said. "There's nothing I can do about it. At this point in my career, I just want to do something that's fun and creative."

Carey isn't the first Cleveland comedian to set up shop at the WB after having a situation comedy canceled by ABC. That path was blazed by Steve Harvey, the former Clevelander whose talent-search comedy show, "Steve Harvey's Big Time," will begin its second season at 7 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 12.

"I didn't think about that," Carey said of the WB's one-two Cleveland combination. "I opened for Steve Harvey on the road once. He was hilarious. We were working in St. Louis, and I got like half a standing ovation. Half the crowd stood up for me, and I thought, Huh, that's pretty good. Follow that, Steve Harvey.' And I remember the look on his face when he walked out. He was like, 'Hmm, making it tough.' And he walked out and got a full standing ovation."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog