The Passion of Zell Miller
Commentary from a psychiatrist (Shrinkette) and a product manager (me) at Shrinkette's blog regarding accusations that certain political candidates are crazy. It goes back to William Jennings Bryan. (Fun fact: in 1896, psychologists were referred to as "alienists." I don't know why that particular word was applied to that particular profession.)

[Greetings]
[Zell: passionate, stirring, loyal, disloyal, dishonest, or...."crazy?"]

Let me quote from the professional:

Why do some people turn to the "C"-word when they are confronted with angry, vigorous opposition? Fortunately, we are hearing less of that word this week, and people are focusing on the merits (or lack of merits) of Zell Miller's arguments and accusations....

During the speech, I occasionally felt as if the senator was firing verbal cannonballs into my living room, but I would not use the word "crazy" to describe him. On further inspection, none of my furniture was damaged during the speech....the damage to his opponents, however, is still being calculated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog