Why it's bad to win consistently


Huh?

Nick Webster has convinced himself that Chelsea's winning streak, broken over the weekend, is a bad thing.


In recent weeks, Chelsea FC has had the look of an addict.

Addicts have a dependency on certain substances and for the Blues over the last season and half that habit has been the most powerful narcotic in football ... winning. They've gorged themselves on it to the point where even loyal Blues followers are asking whether they may have overdosed.

When you take that high away from addicts, they crash and what usually follows without the correct treatment is a nasty descent into the doldrums. Tempers get frayed, judgment is clouded and the addict will do just about anything to get back to that euphoric state.

On Sunday at Craven Cottage, Jose Mourinho and his all stars exhibited all of the above symptoms and they were made to pay the price by a Fulham side that had in previous weeks woken up after matches with their heads kicked in.



In other words, the fact that Chelsea was unhappy at losing is a clear illustration that there is something grieviously wrong with the team because they won so many times.

I guess the theory is that you shouldn't be upset after losing.

If Nick Webster believes this, he should spend some time in a room after Tommy Lasorda after a Lasorda-sponsored team loses.


When we win, I'm so happy I eat a lot. When we lose, I'm so depressed, I eat a lot. When we're rained out, I'm so disappointed I eat a lot.


But when Lasorda isn't thinking about losing, he's thinking about umpires. (Trivia fact - Lasorda spent some time as a referee for NBA basketball games, and if he hadn't relocated to California, he probably would have ended up as an NBA referee instead of a baseball manager.) Here's a post from Tommy Lasorda's blog:


I managed in the big leagues for 20 years, and I had to endure many bad call by umpires, so I know how my good friend Sadaharu Oh felt after the terrible call in their game against Team USA. I also know how Paquin Estrada felt after the home run that was ruled a double, a call that was made by the same umpire that upheld the appeal at third base when the USA played Japan.

I do not want the fans in Japan, or in Mexico, to think that these calls were made because the umpire is American. The umpire that made those calls has had a reputation for many years of being controversial. In fact, he has created controversy for many American teams, and managers, including me.

Before I go any further, I want to congratulate all the umpires who do an outstanding job of calling games fairly....



From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog