About those 300 Plus Events


I'm sure that you already read my comment at Tim Hibbard's blog (the comment where I messed up and entered my e-mail address instead of my URL - I am not perfekt). Tim's post, and my comment, related to this earlier post of mine. To make an inconsequential story short, my feedmap thingie used to list two events in my area - now it lists over 300.

Well, I hadn't explored the 300 plus events, so I nosed around, and was surprised to discover that the Bridges Auditorium has moved:


Bridges Auditorium
4th Street and College Way, Rosemead California 91771



Rut roh, indeed. But I've now discovered that, several months after I appeared as Mark Twain at the Bridges Auditorium in Claremont, some other dude will appear as Mark Twain at the Bridges Auditorium in Rosemead. Some guy named Hal Holbrook. Wonder if he's any good?

That's a joke, you guys. Jeely kly:


When Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight! opened Off-Broadway at New York City's 41st Theatre in 1959, it took the theatre world by storm and became an immediate hit. What started as a college honors project for aspiring actor Hal Holbrook soon became THE model for one-man theatrical performances.

After performing Off-Broadway and around the country for several years, Mark Twain Tonight! opened on Broadway in 1966, and Holbrook promptly won a Tony Award (Best Actor in a Dramatic Role) and Drama Critic's Circle Award. The performance was then taped for a CBS-TV special, and for this performance, Holbrook received an Emmy nomination....

Now in its 48th year Mark Twain Tonight! continues to enthrall audiences, with Holbrook performing 20-25 shows a year. By Holbrook's estimation, he has now performed the show well over 2,000 times. Just as Mark Twain brought his wit and humor to far-flung places a half-century before, Holbrook-as-Twain has also performed around the world, from Saudi Arabia and Warsaw, to Edinburgh and New Delhi.

Holbrook is not simply an impersonator of Mark Twain, he is an authority on the writer about whom Hemingway said, "American literature began." Thus when Ken Burns started work on his upcoming PBS special on Mark Twain, one of the first people Burns contacted was Hal Holbrook, and Holbrook is featured very prominently in Burns' Mark Twain, which aired on PBS January 14th and 15th, 2002....



From the Ontario Empoblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog