So Non-Trendy It Hurts - So Poppy It Pleases


I started my Yahoo! LAUNCHcast video watching session tonight by watching/hearing Backstreet Boys' "Incomplete" video. I've listened to it three times this evening so far. Plus the time that I listened to it on Sunday.

And yes, when you watch the video, it's typical Backstreet Boys, but perhaps a little rougher with fire and junk toward the end.

Yes, _ _m n_t tr_ndy.

Here's what the Amazon.com reviewer had to say about the album.


On Never Gone, the Backstreet Boys crib from the pop foundation they helped establish. Like a lot of smart popsters on the rebound, the reunited fab five broach their return by borrowing from the current hit makers. Even after a four-year hiatus, the flecks of new influence won't matter a bit to the fans. The boys' signature sugar-coated yearning softens every song to a melty consistency, and the lyrics haven't lost any of their babe-magnet pull....


Somehow, I suspect Tammy La Gorce could have written that review without listening to the album. (Perhaps she did.) Frankly, I'm more impressed with amateur reviewer Matthew G. Sherwin.


The Backstreet Boys have produced an incredible album with their fourth studio release, "Never Gone." Just one of the awesome tracks on this CD, "Incomplete," is already standing out as a fine example of their talent and creative strength. This album proves the band is STILL here and ready to rock us while making it all look so easy. Backstreet Boys fans will be very pleased with this album and I think many other music fans would do themselves a favor by trying this CD on for size. Yes, yes, I know: Some people have practically written off the band as has-beens and losers; but I say their life experiences and their natural talent have once again forged to produce a very good album that is one of the best you'll buy this year. Still other people have said that this album does not offer "new enough" material. I wasn't aware the band was obligation to change drastically!...

"Incomplete" is an emotional, passionate and just plain beautiful ballad which is a strong way to start off the album. There's no secret why this song is blasting all over coffee shops already! Try it yourself and tell me you don't like it. (The video was great, too.)...



And here's what Anthony Rupert said:


This is the first BSB album I've listened to, and I have to say it's pretty good.

There are two things that I noticed right away with this album. As soon as I first heard "Incomplete", I said, "I've never heard of a Backstreet Boys song without Brian singing lead." In fact, he hardly sings at all on here; he only sings lead on about two songs, if that. But that's not too bad because A.J. and Nick handle things pretty well -- yes, that's the other thing: Nick Carter's singing has greatly improved. One thing that's weird, though, is how Kevin keeps popping up in the videos playing the piano when he doesn't play at all on the album. Ah well.



mbrady panned the album, but did so intelligently:


Doesn't even sound like the Backstreet Boys. There is not a great song on the album. Most of them are boring and sluggish, IMO.

I agree with the reviewer who thinks the 5-star reviews are planted. No way this is a 5-star effort. If you liked Millennium you'll probably be very disappointed in this one. Gone are the melodic songs with soaring harmonies.

It's too bad because this is a very talented group.



Here's another perspective:


I guess older guys and girls would like this CD, but i don't think kids do ( such as me. ) I never liked BSB, but I recently heard this CD and it's not very good. There is definitely good lyrics, but if this was directed at kids, kids like to listen to fast paced stuff. ( most of them, like me. ) There are a lot of slow songs on this CD. ( I hate slow songs. ) But then there are very few that are a little faster. I think I would only recomend this to a fan of BSB, or a fan of soft rock, or something along those lines.


This raises the question - who was the target marketing audience for this song? (Not necessarily implying that the song creation itself was "product," but once you start getting the promotional and video engine running, you gotta market to somebody.) The video leads me to believe that they were trying to market to a younger audience (all the dramatic gestures and backgrounds and all that stuff). Or maybe they were trying to attract multiple audiences - I'm not sure.

Well, regardless, I like it - I'm a sucker for nice hooks and nice pop songs. Although I regard the Sex Pistols and the Clash as two of the best pop groups ever - they had good hooks too.

From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog