Ellen Simonetti Update - "you did not fail to follow employer's rules, orders or instructions"
Although the Ellen Simonetti (a/k/a "Queen of Sky") searches have lagged, I do have some new news to report:


Yesterday I had my first victory against Delta:
the Georgia Department of Labor granted me my unemployment benefits.

The reasoning for their determination in my favor was as follows:

"Your employer fired you for violation of a reasonable and known policy.
The available facts show that you were not aware of the rule, policy, or requirement. The facts show that you did not fail to follow employer's rules, orders or instructions. Therefore, you can be paid benefits."



When I read that statement and remembered the facts of the Simonetti case, I was reminded of an incident from Animal House:


No doubt many of you have seen the movie "Animal House." It was a cult classic in the 1980s, especially for college-age people. There was a funny scene in the movie in which the dean of the college and the mayor of the town were conspiring on how to rid themselves of the "Animal House" fraternity.

To the best of my recollection, the concerned mayor asked the dean, "How are we going to get rid of these animals?" The dean replied, "Don't worry, I'm putting this fraternity on double secret probation."



Well, double secret probation didn't work then - Blutarsky became a Senator, remember? - and it didn't work now - you can't have a secret rule, especially a rule that is unevenly applied, and expect it to stick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog