We don't care how late you work Sunday night, if you come in late on Monday morning


When I've had to work very late, I've felt "entitled" to come in to work a little late the next day. Lucky I didn't work for this company:


When I’d been there a few weeks, [IT Director] Edmund called a meeting...[T]he project seemed to be going smoothly, and after he relayed the good word to LaceLand’s CEO, she was so pleased she gave our entire migration team tickets to the Super Bowl game....

Unfortunately, as game day approached -- with our deadline only one week behind it -- we hit a snag....I didn’t care about the game that much, so I volunteered to work on the problem while the rest of the crew enjoyed their party weekend.

For the next two days, working at home, I dissected the data and finally managed to convert it to a format that the new system would accept. At midnight on Sunday I stumbled into bed, fully expecting to be hailed as a hero the next morning.

I figured it would be OK to show up a few hours late. But when I walked in, Edmund started yelling at me, fuming mad because I’d “breezed in” at noon on the first day of the last week before the big deadline. When I told him what I’d been doing over the weekend, he acted like I was making up some ridiculous excuse. Apparently my football-crazed co-workers had never mentioned it to him. Cursing me like a drill sergeant, Edmund went on to praise my fellow IT comrades, who had apparently clocked in at 4 a.m. so they could begin feeding “my” newly converted data into the system....

One week later, when the project went online, my team members were given bonuses. I was let go.



Ah, but Lazy Lester enjoyed the way the story ended:


Two months after that, the system developed hiccups -- and my ex-team members couldn’t iron out the bugs. The CEO called to apologize for the way Edmund had treated me, and she asked me to sign on as a consultant. I told her that I had a new job, a new company car, and a new boss who appreciated my efforts. One who happened to be the CEO of LaceLand’s major competitor.


Speaking of lingerie, did you know that the same people who own Victoria's Secret also own Bath & Body Works and The White Barn Candle Company?

From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Mrs. Loquacious said…
Wow, what a nightmare story. It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant, unskilled, head-in-the-sand IT directors/project managers are out there! I'm glad Lester found a new job with sweet bonuses. I would have *so* totally gone back to Acme Data, not to work but to rub it in Edmund's face, as well as to launch an HR complaint against him.

And no, had no idea about Bath & Body Works, & Victoria's Secret.

Popular posts from this blog