It WAS a Professor
Back in the spring when I was frequently in Claremont preparing for my triumphant stage performance in Fiddler on the Roof (I was "Second Man"), I took a walk to Bridges one afternoon and stumbled into a campus-wide rally. It seems that a professor's car had been vandalized with racist material, and the Claremont Colleges as a whole were holding meetings about racism, bla bla bla.

Update: the professor in question, Kerri Dunn, has been convicted of vandalizing her own car.

A former visiting Claremont McKenna College psychology professor, who reported her car was vandalized with racist and anti-semitic slurs while she was on campus, was convicted Wednesday of insurance fraud charges.

The Pomona Superior Court jury deliberated just under a day before finding Kerri Dunn guilty of two felony counts of attempted insurance fraud, along with a misdemeanor charge of a false police report....She could face up to 3 1/2 years in state prison....

Dunn reported to police and school officials that her car had been vandalized March 9 while she was on campus preparing a lecture for a forum on racism. She also contacted her insurance company.

Dunn's report of a hate crime caused officials to cancel classes at the five undergraduate Claremont campuses on March 10, and sparked anti-hate crime rallies that drew hundreds of students and captured national attention....


I had lost track of the case (we quit our Daily Bulletin subscription when the paper ended up going into the sprinklers and not being read). Lonewacko's summary: Kerri Dunn to get probation, write book, give lectures, appear on Oprah....

Comments

Anonymous said…
You cannot imagine how infuriated I was to find out she lied. As a Jew in the Inland Empire, I haven't had much to complain about. Oh, maybe the occasional Mormon on my doorstep getting extra persistent when told my religion, or feeling lost among all the gentile trophy wives in synagogue.

Just thinking about this meshuggenah and her slander on a whole community -- not to mention my embarrassment at a co-religionist, even if she is a convert -- just gets my kosher panties in a twist.

IE
Ontario Emperor said…
I didn't know her religous background. I guess what hit me about the whole affair is the effect on the 20 year olds. I (dimly) remember those days, and I'm sure there was extreme disappointment. One day, you and your fellow students are part of a movement, banding together, MAKING A DIFFERENCE! Then a few days later you find out that it might have been based on a lie. Oh well, it's good to learn cynicism also...
Anonymous said…
True. I didn't think about that angle. I was thinking the stereotypical, "Oh my, what will the gentiles think of us NOW" angle. That's just my usual paranoia speaking.

Popular posts from this blog