End of the Line, Affecting My Creativity
Regarding Enumclaw:

I like to get out in the wild, as long as it's not too wild. For example, last week I got on St Louis' Metrolink train service and took it all the way from downtown St Louis to the Shiloh-Scott station in Illinois, having no idea at the time what Shiloh was, or what Scott was.

Enumclaw was another destination. I drove there once with one of my college friends and walked through the huge downtown, snapped some pictures, and left.

Another destination was Gresham. Years ago (before light rail existed in Portland) I took a Tri Met bus all the way out to exotic Gresham, Oregon. I even wrote a bad song about it (lyrics excerpted here):

I went to Gresham town
I took a Tri-Met down

I bought "Free to Choose"
But not a drop of booze

Bandana on my belt
I'm never gonna sell't

I thought it was a lark
Then I saw a great white shark


For the record, the chorus after each of these verses was "Gresham is the homeland...(Gresham!) for the sharks." The song closed with a Slim Whitman impersonation. (And if you want a copy of the song, sorry - I wisely trashed all my cassette tapes a few years ago.)

I probably wrote that song in 1981 or 1982. You can decide if my songwriting skills have improved over the intervening decades (though I guess you can say my songs are now more political).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog