It WAS a Mule
As I noted in my March 11 entry, I am involved in a local Children's Theatre Experience production of Fiddler on the Roof. We gave our first performance today, and will offer four additional performances over the next three days.

Not counting non-speaking appearances in a Last Supper re-creation, this was my first time on stage since the 1972-1973 school year. And THAT production didn't have singing, professional sets, or a performance venue like the Bridges Auditorium.

Most of the participants are children and teenagers, some of whom have been doing this for ten years or more - very experienced, good singers, good dancers, good actors. Because this performance of Fiddler was in desperate need of men to play the "papas," several of us parents got drafted into speaking roles. I purposely chose a small role (less than a dozen lines, most of which are simple "Mazeltovs" here and there). Needless to say, I remembered my lines (at least for this one performance).

All in all, it's been a very enjoyable time. I have an old high school friend that was heavily involved in theatre, and I've known several actors and playwrights here and there, but it was fun to do this for myself.

Maybe someday I'll learn improv...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog