Hayley McQueen on the World Cup


I'm getting a ton of searches on this blog for Hayley McQueen information, probably due to the World Cup. So this is probably a good time to cite McQueen's thoughts on the World Cup, as reported by Sky Sports about a month ago.


The first World Cup I actually remember was 1990, before then I was too young to even realise the importance of it. I remember watching England v Republic of Ireland and as a Scotland fan I had a real problem trying to figure out who I was going to support. The one moment that stood out and the most obvious one of course was Gazza crying, I'd never seen a grown man cry before. I also remember my dad jumping up and cheering when England missed the penalties! I wasn't even born in the days when Scotland were a half decent team but I'm aware of the importance of Argentina 78, but there were two extremes for our family in that tournament. My Dad damaged his ligaments just 2 weeks before the team were due to travel to Argentina and was devastated. Like Rooney, he travelled with the team in the hope he was going to be fit for the latter stages but of course they never made it passed the group stages. My dad's best pal, 'Uncle Joe' (Jordan), made up for it slightly as he scored in Scotland's first game against Peru. The amount of people who still to this day come up to my Dad & talk about him missing out and reminisce about the good old days of Scottish football is unbelievable.


And, realizing that second-guessing after the fact is easy, it's interesting to see who McQueen thought would take it all:


AND THE WINNERS ARE: Germany. The critics are right to say their defence are inexperienced but the support of a home nation can do wonders for a team! I'd love to see a Brazil v England final though.


Actually a good prediction, since Germany did better than Brazil and England. Not sure if anyone predicted a France vs. Italy final, especially with the domestic issues in Italy.

I haven't caught Sky Sports News in ages, but it's obvious that McQueen still has some shifts on the channel. Recent comments on McQueen appears in other blogs - July 3, June 9, and May 20 (in a post that predicted that the U.S. would upset Italy - whoops!).

McQueen now has her own Wikipedia article, by the way - but, as of 17 May, no Sky Sports News profile. Makes for wonderful job security...

From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog