And I thought my Slim Whitman - Brian Eno theory was questionable


I received the following search hit:


25/08/2005 06:59:47 is barry manilow dave gahan's father (Google)


But it did allow me to find Amazon user James Stephen Garrett's rip of Depeche Mode's "Exciter" album:


The New Depeche Mode---or rather, the *really old* Depeche Mode, withered away to three key-punchers---is serving up a reeking slab of Out with the New & In with the Old. What's for lunch in this outing, you ask? Lounge tunes....

It's a whole album---with one glaring exception, the downbeat-upbeat "The Dead of Night", which feels like classic Depeche, but isn't enough to save this flaccid release---of sleepy lounge tunes, sugary sweet & whiney torch songs. There are two settings here: Snooze and Extra-Snooze. Don't listen to this infernal sleep-inducing thing in the car: I did so, unwisely, nodded off and nearly wrecked three times, and that was just during the first minutes of "Dream On"....

I even played a few prime cuts off "Exciter" to grandma, and she smiled and said "what nice young men---do they cover Barry Manilow?". Folks, this is *not* your Father's Depeche Mode: it's your grampa's....



I am one of the people who actually likes Exciter, specifically because of its sound. No, "Exciter" is not "Violator." And "Violator" is not "Speak and Spell." As the Who said in one of their songs, "Music must change." (The song itself, by the way, was a dinosaur rock/orchestral tribute to punk.) "Exciter" is more of a cerebral, European album, and "I Am You" is phenomenal. However, I do agree with Marco that the title is ironic (don' you...oh, never mind).

From the Ontario Empoblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog