A Sudden Trip


So it's Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm and I get a call from my father in law. My brother in law had a truck breakdown in Barstow, and my father in law wanted to know if I wanted to go out there with him.

Within a half an hour, we're on the road to Barstow. For those who don't know the area, Barstow is out in the middle of the desert on the main road from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. One former resident referred to it as "Barfstow." The highlight is Barstow Station, one of my favorite tourist traps of all time. Pictures: [1] [2] [3] [4]

But we didn't go to Barstow Station...we went to a freeway exit a couple of miles east, where my brother in law decided to try to drive his truck to his home in Lake Havasu City. So we followed him. For 19 miles or so. Then we stopped to put water in the radiator. Got going again. And stopped. (Repeat several times.) Luckily for us, there were enough rest stops and places like Ludlow with water that we were able to cross the desert with four one-gallon jugs that were constantly refilled.

So, after leaving my house at 3:30 in the afternoon, I finally arrived back home at 3:30 in the morning, after an unplanned round trip to Lake Havasu City and back. But there was one benefit - we got gas in Lake Havasu City for less than $2.20.

From the Ontario Empoblog

Comments

Mary said…
I haven't been to Barfstow Station in years. Definitely a "highlight". Oh, yes. ;)

Glad you made it across the desert ok, and with "cheap" gas to boot!

Popular posts from this blog