Ontie Goes To Hollywood


Or, the outcome of dealing with cities and junk like that.

Despite having to listen to baseball announcers talk about scoreless games, I made it to Hollywood to hear the solo debut of Renee Myara (formerly of The Moment and Krave). I figured that it would take hours upon hours to get through the freeways and find parking and everything else, but I actually got from Orange County to Genghis Cohen in about an hour.

With time to kill, I ordered some potstickers and orange peel chicken off of their menu (and will be enjoying the rest of it this evening). As I was finishing up my dinner, I ran into Renee (whom I hadn't seen in over a year), then eventually ran into the Southern belle. They were surprised that I had traveled all the way from Ontario, and I was in turn surprised when I ran into someone who lives in Arizona.

Did I mention that this was Renee's solo debut?

Her set began right on time at 8:30. In this configuration Renee sings and plays an electric keyboard, accompanied by Michael Grate ([1]) on various basses and Dave Aubrey on drums. Since this was the first time that I had ever seen Renee performing, I haven't memorized all the songs (like I've done with Alexa's Wish), but you can hear the songs at Renee's new website.

Genghis Cohen's music room seats approximately 50, and the place was jam-packed with family members, close friends (including Emily, formerly of The Moment), and everyone else. It was a very supportive crowd for her debut.

Although several took pictures, I was not among them, so I won't be blogging any pictures from the set. I wasn't sure how well my pictures would turn out in the dark light (oxymoron, but you know what I mean), so I didn't even try to take any.

According to her calendar, the following future dates are scheduled:


Aug 8, 2005 8:00 PM The Kibitz Room LA, CA
With Tomek Fior
Oct 22, 2005 8:00 PM Cava Doom Cafe agoura, CA
$5 DOOR
With Adam Werner



I'll be touring the country myself (not performing) in August, but hope that some of you can get out and enjoy the Kibitz Room show.

Now remember that I still have to deal with Hollywood:
  • As we were leaving and the people for the comedy show were waiting to go in, I spotted someone with a very short skirt who was very tall. Now, even as a suburban boy, I knew that someone was up with that, even though I initially only saw the person from the back. So I have a question - why do transvestites have horrible scary makeup jobs that make Tammy Faye's makeup look restrained?

  • When I was driving toward Hollywood, I didn't know whether I'd be in a parking garage, or feeding a meter with countless quarters, or what. I lucked out and discovered that Genghis Cohen has its own little parking lot, and since I got there so early I was actually able to get a place. The problem occurred when I had to leave - because of double parked cars, it took me several minutes to maneuver my car to a position where I could actually leave the parking lot. But I got out OK.

  • Was going to drive down Hollywood and go past Hollywood and Highland, but I couldn't go any farther east than Mann's Chinese Theater because Hollywood was closed. At least no one was trying to sing, as far as I could tell.


P.S. So now I visit the Alexa's Wish site and find out they're playing this Saturday in Lake Forest.

From the Ontario Empoblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog