Breaking the Mold
You'll note that I link to two British Columbia bloggers, Genetic Mishap and Terry. In an eerie coincidence, both are looking for work - one looking for work in a current field, the other looking for work in a new field. The second one is having difficulty, as this fictional story will attest:


MICHAEL EISNER: Well, I'm finishing up my tenure at Disney, where I work in entertainment. Before that I was at Paramount, where I worked in entertainment. And before that I was at ABC, where I worked in entertainment.

TEMP AGENCY DRONE: We happen to have an entertainment position that's open.

MICHAEL EISNER: But I don't WANT to work in entertainment! I want to be - a lumberjack!

TEMP AGENCY DRONE: Here's a job for someone to evaluate movie scripts.

MICHAEL EISNER: I want to sleep all night and work all day!

TEMP AGENCY DRONE: Hey, how would you like a job at a theme park?

MICHAEL EISNER: I want to cut down trees!



No matter what you want to do, the temp agency people want to make it easiest on themselves. "Resume says warehouse. Think WAREHOUSE."

I'm not exactly the expert in getting work. At one point several years back I was unemployed, having previously worked in customer service, documentation, and IT positions, and was doing the whole temp agency thing. And one temp agency demanded that I complete a typing test. I could tell that things weren't going to work out with this agency. Eventually, I found a better one.

P.S. I find the thought of Michael Eisner wearing high heels to be rather amusing. But it would be more amusing if George Mitchell wore them also.

Comments

Photominer said…
Hahaha, I love that song too! Its unfortunate because I had actually had some positive experiences with a few agencies. Unfortunately, the people I dealt with are long gone (since a lot of agencies are performance based sweatshops) and so I deal with pushy HR wannabees who are desperate to fill any position they can. That said, I hope to just find something a little less "warehouse" and a little more in tune with what I'm doing (and want to do). Thanks for the mention OE!
gg said…
I've never had any luck with temp agencies, unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately? I don't know.
Photominer said…
Today is different, approached for 2 fairly decent temp roles, accepted one. Since then I'll also finagled an interview with a web design co here in town after March. Never rains but it pours! :-)

Popular posts from this blog