The Book Meme


I was tagged by Jennifer. To be fair, I did not include the Bible in my answers below (although it would be a valid answer to 1, 2, 4, and 8).

1. One book that changed your life.

The Insider's Guide to Colleges, late 1970s edition. This book's description of Reed College appealed to me, and I ended up on the West Coast, and things haven't been the same since.

2. One book you've read more than once.

Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States

3. One book you would want on a desert island.

The first one that popped into my mind was Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons. However, that probably wouldn't help me on a desert island.

4. One book that made you laugh.

The part in Gerald Ford's A Time to Heal that involved a sheep in a hotel room. And no, I'm not kidding.


Jim Naughton of the New York Times is credited with masterminding the "Peoria sheep caper." Encamped in that town after Ford addressed a group of farmers, Naughton persuaded one of the locals to lend him a sheep. Hours later, Newsweek's Tom DeFrank, an alumnus of Texas A. & M. University, discovered the animal in his hotel room. He was greatly surprised. So was the sheep, and DeFrank spent much of the night cleaning up the mess.


Ford's autobiography also notes that Ford saw DeFrank the next morning and simply asked, "How's your friend?"

5. One book that made you cry.

If a book is going to make me cry, I avoid it.

6. One book that you wish had been written.

A View From the World Trade Center, 2005 edition

7. One book you wish had never been written.

I don't know about this one. I could say something like Mein Kampf, but human nature would result in someone else writing a similar book.

8. One book you are currently reading.

The Egyptian by Mika Waltari, a gift from our former Finnish exchange student.

9. One book you have been meaning to read.

The Quran from cover to cover.

10. Five people I tag to do this meme:

The first five people (not counting Jennifer) who read this.

From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Jennifer said…
I love all of your answers, but especially #6. I thought of the same thing for #7, and had the same conclusion as you. Whew, I'm glad I wasn't re-tagged! :0)

Popular posts from this blog