The Smiths Revisited
Back on October 24, I entered the following in this blog:

When Patti Smith married Fred Smith, did she take her husband's last name, or keep her maiden name?

Well, I haven't found the answer to that question, but I have found Patti's observations on the subject:

It was March 9, 1976, and we met in front of the radiator at that hot dog place, Lafayette Coney Island, in Detroit. The Sonic Rendezvous Band was opening for us, but I didn't know anything about him. Lenny introduced me to this guy. I heard that his name was Smith, and my name is Smith. We just looked at each other and I was completely taken by him. I had no idea who he was or anything about him until afterwards when Lenny told me. Lenny introduced him and said "He's one of the great guitar players." I said, "Perhaps you'll want to play with us tonight." And he said, "Maybe so." Then he left and I asked Lenny if he was really good, and Lenny said, "the best." So I was playing with him that night, and I had a lot of bravado in those days. I didn't have respect for anybody. But I totally submitted to his reign. He came on the stage and started playing, and after a while I just set my guitar down and let it feed back. I just let him take over because I felt I had met my match, that I had met the better man.

This Patti Smith quote is taken from an extensive biography of Fred "Sonic" Smith at oceanstar.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog