I can't get it out of my head
Song running through my brain for the last couple of days - "Strange Magic" by Electric Light Orchestra.

In my worldview, this song falls in the second half of ELO's history, which I divide into (a) Electric Light Orchestra II, and (b) everything after that.

I've never heard the earlier albums, but I used to own Electric Light Orchestra II on cassette. Audiophonically, it consists of this guy screaming vocals over a electro-neo-classical band - very rough in all respects.

By the time they hit the big time, most of the rough edges had been removed, although Jeff never gave Smokey Robinson any competition as a vocalist. Although "Strange Magic" didn't have a disco beat, it fit nicely into disco-era radio programming. The strings that were once so menacing had become light background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog