Cluetrain, Gluetrain, Nighttrain?
OK, I finally read Chapter One of the Cluetrain Manifesto. Actually, I skimmed Chapter One, which basically boils down to the following: People shouldn't talk funny.

Previously, I had read a couple of other items:

John C. Dvorak's article "Cult of the Cluetrain Manifesto." Sample quote:

Yet the apparent faith in this odd vision of an idealistic human-oriented internetworked new world/new economy marches forward. I imagine all these folks holding hands in a large circle, rolling back and forth, with some in the middle of the circle, spinning and chanting and hugging, all naked. I'm betting that most of these folks go to Burning Man and all of them write blogs about it and how cool it was. They link to each others' blogs and read what they say about each other—all highly complimentary.

In fact the brown-nosing that goes on between bloggers singing each others' praises makes the worst office kiss-ups look tame by comparison. I mention this anomaly since these Cluetrain folks all believe the opposite to be true. Somehow networking like this, according to the Cluetrainees, reveals truth—when in fact it supports and forces the worst kind of conformist behavior. Try to find a blog that is ever critical of another blog. I've never seen it.


(We'll return to this quote later.) I also read a parody of the Cluetrain Manifesto entitled the Gluetrain Manifesto. It's best to open the Cluetrain Manifesto in one window, and the Gluetrain Manifesto in another. This results in the "humor" that Locke earnestly cites.

Affisch's blog archive includes a brief comment on the Dvorak article. Of course, I had to respond:

In accordance with the Dvorak Directive, I wish to incessantly praise your observations on this matter. Actually, the truth is somewhere in between Locke and Dvorak...

However, when I tried to post this comment, I got the following error:

Can't read /home/sites/www.affisch.org/web/weblog/archives/00000000.cgi. Please make sure that your entries/archives directory is correctly configured and is CHMODed to 777, or try running Diagnostics & Repair in the Configuration screen.

I'm sure there's some significance here. Maybe
KOER should host a reading of the Nighttrain Manifesto...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog