He is the way


In a previous post, I quoted John 14:6:


John 14:6 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.



Others have quoted this verse also. Son Shines:


I was a Mormon for 27 years before I decided to do a full investigation on the LDS Church. Most Mormons that are born into that church have no reason to even think it may be wrong. It's easy to go along with it, as your parents and probably all or most of the family are LDS too. Nothing much to question.......ummmmmm until one begins to ask God for HIS True Word and having the desire to really know what is true and what is a lie. HE then helps you to find HIM. (SEEK HIM and there you shall find HIM!)....

I actually set out to become the "Temple Girl". I took more classes to become "Mormon enlightened". I wanted to be worthy in that church. I wanted to marry and be sealed for time and eternity.

However, in doing so, I asked God to show me the truth. A few questions about Joseph Smith didn't add up!! Why is he so important? Was he a true prophet? I wanted to know if he was a true prophet or not! I didn't ask to see the LDS church in the wrong....I simply asked for 'The Truth'......THE TRUTH SET ME FREE!!!...

I (my sister too) took a Bible class and the class was on "The Book of John".
In the beginning was THE WORD.....and the WORD was with God, and the word WAS GOD. WOOHOOOO a wake up call. Then came John 3:16-For God so loved the world that HE gave HIS 'ONLY' begotten Son, that whoever believes in HIM should not perish but have everlasting life!!!!!!

Say what?! 'ONLY' Son, meaning that Satan is NOT Christ's brother.....and believing in Christ that Christ died on the cross for MY SINS and rose again on the third day, believing that HE IS MY ONLY LORD AND MY SAVIOR....I AM SAVED! (A gift from God, not works- so no one can boast!)

Notice the Bible didn't say, if you do all of these ordinances, tokens, believe that Joseph Smith is a true prophet, be sealed in the Temple and don't defile your garments, know the secret handshakes, pay up all your tithes, stay worthy (we are filthy rags by the way), keep the word of wisdom do aaaaaallll of these things, etc. etc. etc. and then you will have everlasting life should "God's right hand man" Joseph Smith say so........HOGWASH!

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (Joseph Smith has no part in my life or in anyones for that matter!). Life is about Jesus NOT Joseph Smith!

This was a whole new world for me. Tears of joy, knowing I was on my way of being out of bondage!



From misfitmormon:


Why would God give Mormons permission, through the priesthood, to overthrow the laws set forth in the Bible? For example, God says there will be no marriage in Heaven (Matt. 22:30). God does not lie, nor can He change, not even His mind. His word stands forever. Because God says there is no marriage in Heaven, then it is impossible for God to establish a priesthood on Earth that authorizes otherwise. Hebrews 7 and 8 explains that Jesus IS the Melchizedek. "Because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood." Jesus Christ is the Great Eternal High Priest who took the place of all earthly priesthoods and replaced them with Himself... permanently. My authority comes from Jesus Christ. He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me." He did not say, "nobody comes to the Father except through the priesthood."


On the other hand, here's a Mormon quoting John 14:6:


When I was ten years old, I wanted to be a priest for God, our Heavenly Father. I was willing to give myself to him, because deep inside me, I was ready made for him....

At 17, my mom told us that my younger brother and I were to be ordained as Buddhist Novice Monks upon the death of my father, because she believed when the sons held the priesthood, it would help absolved the sins of the family, and spread blessings for the family. I was willing to do it out of respect to her....

I was also exposed to other religions by study as well as by attending lectures of Bahai faith, Islam, Hinduism, Sai Baba, Roman Catholic, Jehovah Witness, Seven Adventist, Roman Catholic, Presbytherian, Methodist, Lutherian, Baptist, Calvary and Assembly of God, and Gospel Business Chapters, etc.

I was more scared of leading people to an incorrect religion for I did not wish to face God for my leadership and responsibility. I did not like the idea of a being a Leader leading people astray in religious living....

So, I asked God "Which religion is correct?"

I believed Christianity touched my heart because it was centered on Jesus Christ as the Son of God Almighty who was our personal Father in Heaven and Christ atoned for our sins as the Savior of mankind, and my personal Savior.

His Gospel and his Life amplified love, mercy and service for people....

When Thomas, one of his disciples asked Jesus, how could they find the way to go to the Father? Almost all teachers answer that they will show us the way and God, but Jesus answered specifically, “I am the Way. the Truth and the Life ; no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” (John 14:6). No other teacher has so much profound answer and power as Jesus as “The Way, The Truth and The Life!”...

But then, I was confused with so many denominations. Strange it might seem, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints came as the last sect in Christianity to me from my cousin, from Singapore....

They bore their testimonies of the restoration of the gospel and church, and the fullness of the gospel, which caught me by surprise---what another sect to choose from?

When we went out for lunch they asked me what drink I wanted. "Coffee" was a normal answer, but I could sense the bewildered look in their eyes as if coffee was a forbidden drink. That was when I raised the question: “Tell me the truth why you do not drink coffee." Mary replied, "Coffee, a stimulant, was not good for the body as the body was the Temple of God which housed the Holy Spirit."...

Wow! I was impressed that these Church members were holy people who did not drink coffee or tea! I knew Brahmins drank milk, and no wine. So if I wanted to be holy, I might have to abstain from coffee or tea. Indeed, I requested to have my drink changed to orange juice, following their same order.

That evening, I announced to my mother, brother and sisters, in fact, the whole household, that I would no longer drink coffee or tea, to which my sister retorted, "What kind of Christianity is that that does not allow members to drink coffee or tea?"

Because it came from God through revelation, I abstained from drinking them immediately from that day....Knowing that it was revelation from God had a instant impact on me to obey it immediately as I was told obedience was the first law of Heaven, which I strongly believed....

Why do I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints and not other sectarian churches? Christ revealed to Joseph all the necessary restoration and the fullness of the gospel, the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the ordinances pertaining to eternal perspectives in the Temple, etc.

The best witness anyone can have is to have the confirmation by the power of the Holy Ghost to know these revelations are truly from God. I testify they are really from God as the Spirit confirms them to me.



On the other other hand, there's June's Poetical:


Hi, I said, so what did you wanna talk to me about?

He was caught off-guard, and he started to speak, I just wanted to share with you the good news of Jesus Christ.

I smiled and I said, great! So you believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father.

He said yes of course, but also that He has given us another prophet here on earth.

My brows furrowed, another prophet? Again I had said my thoughts aloud.

He then began his story about Mr. so and so (I can't remember the name) the leader of the Mormons. But didn't Jesus before he went to heaven, say that the one He would leave with us would be the Holy Spirit? Not some other person, of flesh and blood.
So I asked, isn't it dangerous to put your trust in a person who is a sinner just like yourself?

But he said, yeah maybe it's dangerous, but it's important to have someone who can lead you to the truth. [Now I realise that he didn't quite understand when Jesus said 'I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.']

No, our understandings were obviously quite different.



And someone takes the Great Commission seriously:


For at least nine months of the year, my life is basically limited to relational ministry at The Master’s College, studying theology and ministry at The Master’s Seminary, and being part of the church family at Placerita Baptist Church. After being at The Master’s College for eight years, most of my close friends are people connected to the school.

This is why I play basketball at the park....

If I don’t play basketball at the park, I might forget that there’s such a thing as a pagan. I mean a real, live pagan, not just one on a movie screen or one singing on the radio or one sitting quietly on the plane next to me. I mean a pagan who acts like a pagan in front of my eyes on a consistent basis, whose vocabulary is godless, whose values are upside-down, whose soul is lost, and who I get to see twice a week, on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I mean a pagan whose name and age I know, whose tattoos I’ve asked about, whose favorite cuss-words I could list, whose weed-induced stupor I can see, whose immoralities I’ve heard about, whose team I’ve played both on and against, whose off-the-wall interpretation of “I am the way, the truth, and the life” I’ve debated, who gives me a nod when I step on the court, and who knows that I follow Jesus. That kind of pagan. The kind I have a relationship with. The kind whose darkness God can actually use me to light because I’m in close enough proximity for him to see the flame and wonder why he doesn’t have one....

This is why I play basketball at the park. Not because I want to learn about the world but because I want to be used to transform it. And you don’t transform it by shooting theological warheads out of an isolated missile silo. Yes, there’s a place for doctrinal weaponry. I walk among its shelves and read lots of its blueprints all the time at seminary. I do my best throughout the year to help train young soldiers how to use it for good and not evil. I pray for the grace to be personally disciplined in developing wartime skills. But you can’t win a battle from a bubble.

You win a battle on the battlefield. This is why I play basketball at the park.



From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)

Comments

Jennifer said…
I became obsessed with the Mormons a few years ago and read everything I could find on their history and their current church. Very, very scary. Thanks for posting the excerpt from Son Shines. This passage stands out to me:

Notice the Bible didn't say, if you do all of these ordinances, tokens, believe that Joseph Smith is a true prophet, be sealed in the Temple and don't defile your garments, know the secret handshakes, pay up all your tithes, stay worthy (we are filthy rags by the way), keep the word of wisdom do aaaaaallll of these things, etc. etc. etc. and then you will have everlasting life should "God's right hand man" Joseph Smith say so........HOGWASH!

We could write the exact same thing about our protestant Christian churches. I pray that Renejenny finds freedom from the shackles.

Popular posts from this blog