Woman who resigned from union
From 11/7/2003 St. Louis Post-Dispatch

I am writing to represent the rather unpopular and little-heard viewpoint of a minority of individuals in the recent grocery strike: people who, like me, a grocery store employee originally bound by the union, chose to follow their hearts in a different direction, which led to a breaking from opinion with the union, and ultimate resignation.
This was a decision I did not take lightly.

I did not force my views on anyone else, yet am now being penalized and even shunned by colleagues and former "friends" for exercising my free will and upholding my beliefs.

I have not disrespected the mighty union majority during this grocery fiasco, unless their definition of respect is a blind, sheep-like unity at all costs, even to the abandonment of my beliefs. That doesn't sound like the democracy we are supposed to be living in here in this country, does it?

The "mighty" Bob Kelley claimed individuals like myself turned our backs on fellow union members. I no more turned my back on my co-workers than they did on the most persecuted population in this fiasco, that being the innocent customer! What other organization would have their members put the needs of their own pocketbooks before the group of individuals that they profess to care about the most (the customer), and the individuals who literally make it possible for them to make a living?

Also, if I hear the word "scab" one more time in reference to those who, like me, had to make a decision which put them in disfavor with majority opinion by their working the temporary positions at the stores while the original workers were out on the street by choice …..

In closing, as far as I last checked, we still operate under a democracy in this country and are allowed, even encouraged to exercise our free will. Or do those words simply not apply to the union?

Gina Davis
St. Peters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog