I'm Gerald Ford And You're Not


From a live chat that Scholastic held in 1995 with Gerald Ford:


Question: Really, what DID you think of Chevy Chase's impersonations of you? Did you ever meet him? -- Mrs. Arlene Gaudioso's Fifth Grade, Rohrerstown Elementary School, Lancaster, PA.

President Ford: I enjoyed, up to a point, Chevy Chase's impersonations. Yes, my wife and I have met and had an opportunity to get acquainted with Chevy Chase. He is a very skillful entertainer who had a sharp and penetrating sense of humor. I have learned over the years in the political arena that you cannot be thin-skinned. You have to take the good with the bad.



From Reuters/Yahoo:


Comedian Chevy Chase...praised the former president on Wednesday and said they later became friendly in spite of the biting comedy routines....

"He had never been elected period, so I never felt that he deserved to be there to begin with," the actor said about Ford, who died on Tuesday at age 93. "That was just the way I felt then as a young man and as a writer and a liberal."

"Later on we became friends and he was a very, very sweet man," Chase said in a telephone interview from a Colorado ski resort. "He took my wife and I on a whole lovely trip through Grand Rapids to show us where he had been as a child and what not. We kept in touch and he was just a terrific guy."



From the Ontario Empoblog (Latest OVVA news here)


[12/28/2006 - my del.icio.us tags for Gerald R. Ford Jr. are here.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog