Media in the Plural
Ignore the political implications of this for a moment (they're well-covered elsewhere) and think of the general media implications. To help you in this, I am removing the name of the television network that was involved, as well as other pertinent details that reveal the politics of the whole thing:


Yesterday I got a call from a publicist for [network news show]. They’re running a story tonight on [topic]. She was requesting that I talk up the program on [political blog]....In nine years of publishing the...site, I can’t remember ever getting a call from a publicist before. I’ve talked to reporters from major news networks and papers, and I’ve talked a booking agent or two to arranging appearances on radio shows, but never a publicist.


Obviously, this isn't the first time that one medium has used another medium for promotion. Newspapers advertise on radio, and radio advertises on television. But a PUBLICIST?

It should be noted that the website in question would have "talked up" the specific program, whether the publicist had called or not. The blogger was interested in the subject matter. Kind of like if the people from Clear Channel ever got back to me and told me where Angi Taylor ended up, I'd be more than happy to post it.

But it's still kinda weird using a publicist.

P.S. In case your interested, the show in question was the CBS show "60 Minutes." But I'm sure that Fox would have done the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog