If you really don't want my business...


I don't use loyalty programs to specifically choose the airline or hotel that I use (during my entire three week vacation, I only spent one night in a hotel based upon loyalty decisions). Instead, I signed up for a bunch of loyalty programs (four airline, four hotel) and, more often than not, I end up on one of the airlines/hotels when conducting business.

To top it off, I usually (but not always) collect points without altering my behavior. "Yay for me," as a wise Canadian once said.

However, the Hilton Hhonors loyalty program in particular got a little restrictive about this:


13. Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. The account may be reactivated by the member taking one of the following actions:

stay at an HHonors hotel, thus reactivating membership; or

earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation

Failure to take action (a) or (b) or described above within the prescribed 90-day period will result in the closure of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points. Members can redeem HHonors points for any HHonors reward for which they are eligible prior to the account being closed. After the points have been redeemed, the HHonors account will be closed and all remaining points in the account will be forfeited.



My Hilton Hhonors membership lapsed in the fall of 2004, and I haven't stayed at a Hilton property since. Ironically, I'll be staying at one in the future, but just because it was the cheapest available property with high speed Internet access and adequate transportation.

Certainly they had good reason for dumping me. Unlike the other membership programs, which cater to the more casual traveler, Hilton Hhonors wants the committed travelers...those who plan their lives around Hilton properties...those who really care about how Paris has dragged the Hilton name through the mud.

So be it.

From the Ontario Empoblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog