We Are All Gullible
Evidence of what we'll do when we get an official-looking e-mail. Koree links to a post in Shizzy's Mailbag in which a new HR hire at Starbucks is fooled into believing that he's receiving e-mails from the CEO of Starbucks. The HR hire ends up doing all sorts of things for the "CEO," including spying on fellow employees. Here's a brief excerpt:


Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Orin C. Smith" |
To: rxxxxxxxxxx@starbucks.com
Subject: Re: Welcome to Starbucks

That's fine, Mr. Simmons, I need you to do something for me if you don't mind. I want you to walk past Caroline Crisholm's office at several points today and see what she's doing. Her office is listed in the directory if you're not sure. Just be casual. If anyone asks, say you were distributing some interoffice mail. Bring a notepad and make sure you tell me everything, no matter how unimportant it may seem. Please get back to me by the end of the day with your report. This is very important.

Thank you,

Orin C. Smith
President, Chief Executive Officer
Starbucks Corp.
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:46:31 +0200 (PDT)
From: rxxxxxxxxxx@starbucks.com
To: "Orin C. Smith" |
Subject: Re: Welcome to Starbucks


Mr. Smith.

I did what you said. I walked past her office several times. The first time she wasn't there. I came back an hour later and she was on a conference call. She had two people in her office -- a man and a woman. The door was closed so I couldn't hear what was said. The third time I walked past, it sounded like she was talking to one of her kids on the phone. She said she would pick them up later or something like that. Then, right before I left work, I saw her walking out with a tall man, who had a beard. One of the secretaries said he was a VP of U.S. sales, when I casually asked who that man was.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Roger Simmons
Date: Weds, 27 Oct 2004 10:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Orin C. Smith" |
To: rxxxxxxxxxx@starbucks.com
Subject: Re: Welcome to Starbucks

I understand how difficult moving is. As for what I told you to do earlier, we'll try it again shortly. I don't want to raise suspicions so let's give it a few days.

There is something else you could do for me. There is a Starbucks on 5th and King that I sometimes go to on the weekend since it's near my house. The service is usually really good but last time I was there I noticed this very, very heavyset girl behind the counter. I don't know the girl's name but she was quite repulsive to the eye. Obviously, as CEO I can't just walk into a Starbucks and start firing baristas and service people because I don't like the way they look, but this girl should not be allowed near scones, if you know what I mean.

I don't know if you want to earn a little extra money this weekend but I'd like you to go there, have a look around and see if you can find out which girl it is. She needs to be terminated. I want the fat girl gone. Let me know when this is completed.

Thank you,,

Orin C. Smith
President, Chief Executive Officer
Starbucks Corp.
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:46:31 +0200 (PDT)
From: rxxxxxxxxxx@starbucks.com
To: "Orin C. Smith" |
Subject: Re: Welcome to Starbucks

I stopped by the Starbucks on Saturday afternoon but I'm not sure she was there. I asked the assistant manager and she wasn't sure who I was talking about. There was one girl who was kind of chubby -- not really fat though. She had strawberry blond hair -- kind of short bob cut. Does this sound like the person you were referring to? I don't want to fire the wrong girl.

Roger Simmons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog