How readers shape the blogs
A blogger can't help but be influenced by the blog's readers. Various services let bloggers know why people are searching their sites, what they're reading, etc.

For example, do you think it's an accident that I'm posting a lot of articles on Rick James? A lot of Yahoo! searchers are performing "rick james" searches and getting to the Empoblog. Of course, the secret hope is that they'll read about Rick James, and then be utterly fascinated by my comments on Rick Warren.

Another example can be found in the Inland Empress' new category within her blog, Scatology 101. This from a woman who once said, "Early on in this blog, I vowed to eschew poopy diaper posts." What happened?

Yes, this is a brand-new category. I couldn't help but notice that the poop posts were getting twice as many hits and comments as elsewhere. So much for raising the level of parenting discussions, eh?

For the record, the Inland Empress blog doesn't exclusively talk about kid poop. And I don't exclusively talk about super freaks. I'd like my blog to be like the Beatles' White Album - jumping from item to item at random, with no explicit relationship between the items half of the time (although you've probably noticed that George's "Savoy Truffle" commented on one of Paul's songs on the album). But I digress...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Before anyone accuses me of pandering, I like my readers -- the fecal-afflicted, sleep-deprived hordes of Moms and Dads struggling for meaning and an odor-free space in the bland expanses of suburbia.

So, like your Rick James threads, I'm running with it for now. I love the Beatles analogy, by the way. Very cool idea. But I still love their early stuff better. I know, I know, I'm brain dead. It's probably the toxic emissions from the diaper pail.

-IE
Ontario Emperor said…
Odor free? You know as well as I what happens when the wind blows from the south!

(For those ignorant of the local geography, the hometowns of the Ontario Emperor and the Inland Empress are a few miles north of a dairy preserve. On those rare occasions when the wind blows from the south, a particular odor pervades the area. Suffice it to say that cows are much larger than stray cats, or human babies. I'll leave it at that. DON'T give it to me baby....)

Popular posts from this blog